Show TimesNot Currently Scheduled.
About the Show
Join us as we plunge to the depths to discover the stories beyond anything you’ll ever read on a menu.
The Catch offers a behind the scenes look at the current state of global fishing all by tracking squid—from the waters off the coast of Peru, to the processing plants, all the way to the supermarkets and restaurants, and finally–your plate.
Host Ruxandra Guidi, along with her Lima-based reporting partner Simeon Tegel (@SimeonTegel), travel to Paita, Peru, to get a firsthand look at one of country’s top fisheries: squid.
- Reporter Dan Collyns joins the Peruvian Coast Guard as they patrol Peru’s waters and work to prevent illegal fishing.
- We hear from local fisherman what it’s like to be out at sea day-in and day-out.
- Edwin Houghton, the president of the Paita Fishing Boat Owners’ Association on why the Peruvian government should do more to help these fishermen.
- We take you inside two processing plans to learn how squid has changed the local and national economy
- Also featured: Peruvian Coast Guard Captain Jesus Menacho and Alfonso Miranda, President of CALAMASUR, a group of industry leaders in the squid fishery. We speak to Carlos Martín Salazar with the Instituto del Mar de Peru about ways to improve sustainability with data. And finally, we hear from Patricia Majluf, well-known conservationist and Senior scientist at Oceana, who dared to take on the fishing industry and rein in overfishing while in office.
Airs Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 9am.